Friday, December 28, 2007

book 62

Slam, Nick Hornby
rating:


Nick Hornby's latest novel is about a teenager, Sam, who is really into skating (skateboarding, that is, but apparently only rubes call it that). He's got a few nice things going for him - he might be the first in the family to go to college, he's got a pretty girlfriend, etc. But then it all goes out the window after something occurs that changes his life (I'm not saying what b/c the book jacket acts as if it's some kind of secret). Hornby's teenage voice is really good, and I really liked the fast pace of the story. I'm a little quibbly about the parts where he is able to magically preview the future, but those moments are pretty well contained. I remember not being super happy about How to Be Good, the last Hornby I read, but I enjoyed this one so much that I'm considering going back and reading that suicide book he wrote.

I've got three more days to up my totals for 2007. Can I do a book a day and make it a respectable 65? Stay tuned...

No comments: