Monday, January 07, 2008

book 2

School's Out, Christophe Dufosse
rating:


I was seduced by the cool cover of this book, and a blurb on the back that likened it to Secret History, which was the greatest book in the world to college freshman me. The comparison is NOT apt, and the cover is much cooler than the story. Basically, it opens with a teacher dying - it looks like a suicide, but many involved are suspicious of one of his classes, a group of students creepily and ardently devoted to one another. Sounds interesting, right? WRONG! The rest of the book is weighed down by the new teacher, Pierre Hoffman, waxing philosophical on what amounts to very little. It took about 150 pages for anything to really happen, and then there was another lull that lasted until almost the end. Ugh. I'll allow that some of the nuances may have been lost in translation. But that's all I'll allow. I need to read something really meaty and good to get me going in 2008. Suggestions?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you read anything by Christopher Moore? I just finished "Fluke" and it was funny and substantial. I'd even lend it to you...