Saturday, November 11, 2006

book 63!

the uses of enchantment, heidi julavits
rating:


this book was decent, but it also annoyed me. it's about a girl who maybe was abducted/ maybe faked her own abduction in 1985. it's all tied in with freud and dora. she sees this psychoanalyst who pretty much uses her to explain this theory he has about privileged white teenage girls and then writes a book about her. there are all these chapters called "what might have happened" interwoven with her shrink's notes and then with stuff in the present, where the main character's mom has just died and there's all this weirdness. and i have no idea what's really true, which irks me. it kept my attention most of the way, and i really wanted to know what was what, but not knowing at the end really pissed me off. i felt like it was trying a little too hard.

but hey, the good news is, i read a whole book! and i've only got fifteen left before i hit my goal. with my sad pace lately, i may not make it, but i'm still going to try!

No comments: